Important: all claims must be registered within 30 days.

  1. Go to any Windscreen Glass Fitment Centre, preferably Glasfit or PG Glass.
  2. They will supply you with a Claim Form.
  3. They will then contact us directly for authority to replace or repair your Windscreen.
  4. We will give them your Policy Number and advise what your excess payable is.
  5. Some fitment centres offer this service at your home or work place.
  6. Phone and arrange this facility with them if required.

Countrywide Contact Numbers

You will be kept informed and updated by our claims handler as to the progress of your claim.

Still Have Questions?